Sunday, September 16, 2012

Home is Wherever I'm With You...

Recently we embarked on the biggest journey our marriage has ever seen. We packed almost all we owned in our little, white, Plymouth Voyager and took I-80 all the way to Flushing, Queens. The drive was beautiful, and we enjoyed ourselves immensely. I mean, who doesn't like being held captive on a 2,000+ mile drive with their bestie? Benson was a champ and drove the whole thing. I even offered to drive, but he always declined. Don't worry, I contributed. I read to him, gave him snacks and snapped shots of the scenery so we wouldn't ever forget what we passed through.

Saying "bye" wasn't the easiest part of the trip. We both realized how much we would miss the wonderful life and people we were leaving behind. But, once we were on the road there was no looking back, and we've been super happy ever since. I haven't quite decided how to document the whole thing. A weeks worth of pictures and memories isn't easy to put down all at once. Oh well, who am I kidding? Who reads these things anyways?

Let's start with some of the wonderful sights we saw while in many parts of the country:
a sweet, small lake in Northern Utah

Our travel buddy, given to us by Grandma Larsen, smiled no matter where we were...


the beginning of taking I-80 all the way



I think I skipped Wyoming pictures...this is Nebraska.

This is too...


Corn fields covered about 80% of our drive





This is unfortunately the best picture I got if a sign that said we were on I-80...

Poor little buddy, his head just couldn't stay up for the long drive. 


For some reason I loved the look of the big, red barn restaurant. 
I imagine their food to be fattening and awesome. 

Once we got into Nebraska all the states were covered in these windmills.
 I believe this was taken in Iowa.




The Mississippi River


The most beautiful sight we saw! 
Nauvoo was a big highlight of our road trip...

Glad to see construction isn't just confined to Utah.




The only state sign I successfully took a picture of...
ironically we were only in this state for 10 minutes.


The only traffic we hit on our whole trip!

If you can't already tell, I love bridges. 



A beautiful Amish farm. 

There you have it, the sights we saw as we drove along the country. More posts will come with more pictures and great stories. Looking through all these made me realize that I would go back and do it again. In a heart beat.


1 comment: