Thursday, March 13, 2014

Story of My Life



I've always been full of good ideas. Not to pat myself on the back, but I have always been able to think of one simple thing and elaborate on that idea until I have a full-blown story board and 10 year plan...in my head. My only downfall is my ability to follow through with any of them. I might share the ideas with a few close friends (and of course Benson) and then, no matter how positive their response is, I end up convincing myself that the idea was silly, the effort too grand, or the plan to risky. I can admit it, I am my own worst enemy. That is something I have only really realized in the last few months and I am working really hard to change it. I decided I would pick a project and follow it through from beginning to end and whether it becomes a huge success is not the important part. I am trying to focus on being able to plan and carry out the beginning stages, which is really the most important part.

Anyway, that being said, I decided to start a craft club with the students at my sister's school in Queens. I'm really excited about it, and we had our first meeting just last Monday. I was thinking that 3-4 students would show and was super surprised when 11 sweet girls filed in. I had gone to their home room classes the week before and used that time to make a simple craft with them, just to spark some interest. In those classes we made felt hair bows and some simple bracelets that turned out something like this:





Monday came around and after posting flyers around the halls and Annie making a few announcements over the PA system we were ready to go! Like I said, I was surprised when 11 girls showed up, I was even more surprised when they came with great ideas and excitement to make some really cool crafts. We had a bunch of blank, black greeting cards and I showed them how to use embroidery thread to decorate on paper. It was kind of a tough one to start with but I am learning and so are they! It was a lot of fun and I can't wait for what we have planned the next few weeks! 



See those smiles? They love crafting and they think I'm hilarious...
 





It was a total mess...but a fun mess. 

I'm really pleased with how this idea has started and I'm not letting my doubts get in the way. We are already headed to the next stage, planning a craft sale at lunch, to raise a little money for some more elaborate projects. 



I'm a little bit embarrassed that I like this song, but I totally do. 
It played while we crafted and we all sang a long. It was like 
my very own scene from High School Musical, so I would call that a win. 






1 comment: